The holidays are here, and so is the biggest gift-giving season in the world. If you have a special needs child in your life, you may be looking for that perfect toy to give them this year.
Before you do so, however, remember that December is Safe Toys and Gifts Month and certain products can be hazardous for young children, especially those with physical and cognitive impairments. As such, you should always keep the following in mind when shopping for special needs children this holiday season:
- Consider the child's age, skill, and maturity levels before purchase
- Watch for choking hazards (small pieces, magnets, balloons, etc.)
- Review recalls and pick toys that have been inspected by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
- Choose adaptable gifts or ask the child's therapists for ideas
Additionally, here are a few key features that you may want to look for in toys:
- Large buttons with simple levers
- Enlarged handles
- Simple cause-and-effect activity
- Rubber, non-slide bottoms to help stability
- Adjustable heights
If you would like to learn more about the services we offer at Angel Law, feel free to reach out to our legal team at (503) 862-8666 at your earliest convenience. You can also fill out our online contact form and we will get back to you as soon as possible.