Portland Birth Injury Lawyer
Angel Law, P.C. Working to Protect Families in Need.
Medical malpractice caused by a delivering physician, an obstetrical delivery team, or any team member during childbirth is never excusable. Even if the staff is working long hours or is comprised of largely inexperienced practitioners, it is their duty to provide a safe environment for birthing mothers. When the medical staff involved with helping a mother give birth to her child acts negligently or fails to perform their duties in a way that should have been preventable, serious birth injuries can occur to both the mother and the newborn.
Why Choose Our Birth Injury Attorney?
- Millions of dollars secured for our clients
- No legal fees unless we win your case
- Inclusion in National Trial Lawyers: Top 100
- List of top 5% of state attorneys (Super Lawyers®)
If you are facing a case involving a birth injury, you deserve to find peace of mind and an appropriate financial recovery to help you pay for damages or losses. Contact our Portland birth injury attorney from Angel Law, P.C. today to learn what legal options may be available to you.
Types of Birth Injuries Caused by Medical Errors
The truly upsetting fact of birth injuries is that so many could have been prevented with more care and attention. The staff in charge of the birthing procedure should have been familiar with what needed to happen and the warning signs of something going wrong. They should have gone through medical school or specialized training for this reason, so any devastating mistakes that do occur are likely due to some slip of the mind or carelessness.
Some common forms of birth injuries, either to the child or the mother, include:
- Cerebral palsy: According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), cerebral palsy is the most common form of motor disability among young children, typically resulting from a birth injury. Its typical causes are premature birth complications, oxygen deprivation during birth, and a lack of nutrients while the child is in utero. All of these issues should be identifiable by medical staff, who can take steps to correct them.
- Brain damage due to oxygen deprivation: An infant who does not receive enough oxygen shortly before, during, or after birth can suffer other serious complications beyond cerebral palsy. Oftentimes, oxygen deprivation will affect the brain the worst, causing sections of brain cells to die swiftly. If the medical staff fails to take quick action upon noticing the infant’s blood oxygen level is dropping to unsafe amounts, then the child could be born with permanent brain damage of varying degrees of severity.
- Brachial plexus injuries: When a child’s arm or head is pulled incorrectly and too harshly during the birthing process, it can tear the bundle of nerves running from the spinal cord to the shoulder and arm, called the brachial plexus. Even minor damage to the brachial plexus at birth can cause lifelong disability in the affected arm and hand.
- Shoulder dystocia: Another form of shoulder and arm damage during birth is shoulder dystocia, which is caused by the shoulder getting lodged in the birth canal due to pressing against the mother’s pelvis. Handled incorrectly, the situation can become life-threatening as it can cause severe internal damage and bleeding to the mother. The child may suffer nerve damage in the shoulder as well.
- Unsafe or hasty C-section procedures: When performed correctly, a C-section can preserve the mother’s health and that of her child. Birthing staff should use C-sections when the mother requests it or when there are signs that the child could be in infant distress and a natural birth would take to long to perform the delivery. Although, C-sections can cause severe injury to the mother and the child when done hastily or without following all accepted safety procedures.
- Wrongful death: In a worst-case scenario, the mistakes of medical staff members can cause the death of the mother, her child, or both. Infant distress – also called respiratory distress syndrome – is one of the leading fatal birth injuries to newborns. Significant blood loss is one of the leading fatal birth injuries to new mothers.
Medical Staff Who Cause Birth Injuries Through Negligence
Birth injuries can be caused by a number of individuals, including the delivering physician OB/GYN, nurse, midwife, or anesthesiologist. Any individual responsible for substandard care during the prenatal, labor, or delivery period can be liable for birth injuries. In some cases, a hospital bears partial responsibility for a birth injury because of its lack of adequate training or failure to provide adequate facilities.
We will help you seek a financial recovery to pay for:
- Long-term therapy
- Nursing care
- Medical bills related to the birth
- Damages for your emotional trauma
- And more
The key to recovering a fair amount of damages is making certain all the correct liable parties are named in your claim or lawsuit. Using our keen familiarity with birth injury claims, we can narrow in on the parties responsible, be it an individual medical practitioner or the medical institution that allowed them to practice in their facilities.
Legal Guidance from a Successful Birth Injury Lawyer
We understand how difficult it is to consider litigation when you have suffered possibly the greatest hardship in your life. At Angel Law, P.C., our birth injury lawyer in Portland can help you find an amicable solution without pushing you out of your comfort zone.
If you have questions about injuries related to the birth of your child or to that of a family member, please do not hesitate to contact our firm. We represent clients from all over the state and we can promptly travel to meet with you in your home to discuss your potential legal matter.
Your initial consultation is free; call (503) 862-8666 today!
Has encyclopedic knowledge of the law and has an extensive network of experts to call on.- Heather A.
He and his team were efficient, caring, and very communicative throughout the entire process.- Avvo User
We were very impressed with Patrick's work. He handled our legal matter with expertise and diligence.- Avvo User
He showed that he was willing to go the lengths needed to help my case succeed.- Avvo User
Patrick Angel is compassionate, caring and always available.- Joe H.
High Profile Cases
Regardless of the size, scope, or difficulty of your case, our firm is prepared to fight for you.
Experience In The Courtroom
Our attorney has extensive trial experience and never backs down from a challenge.
Attention to Detail
Unlike larger firms that rely on paralegals or aides, our attorney will work directly on your case.
Let our experienced attorney provide you with a free one-on-one consultation regarding your case.