Portland Car Accident Lawyer
Dedication, Compassion & Excellence – Angel Law, P.C.
When you have been severely injured in a car accident, you need to know that the legal team that picks up your case is capable of representing you and your best interests. For accidents that happen in and around Portland, you should make Angel Law, P.C. your first and only choice. We’re the law firm that is known far and wide for being led by a former U.S. Marine who takes all the tough lessons he learned during his service and applies them to his client’s cases. You can trust that Attorney Patrick Angel never gives up and never compromises when it comes to protecting the people who depend on him.
Attorney Angel has earned numerous professional distinctions, such as:
- “Excellent” Avvo Rating
- Super Lawyers® membership
- The National Trial Lawyers® Top 100 Trial Lawyers award
Advocating for Victims of All Sorts of Car Accidents
Angel Law, P.C. handles a variety of car accident cases, each with our extensive and knowledgeable background in the law. Whether you were hit by a single reckless driver or caught in a multicar collision, you can count on us to be there and to make sense of everything for you. You are probably already dealing with the aftermath of your crash, like physical injuries and emotional trauma. Leave this up to us to give yourself a much-needed break.
Different car accident cases we handle include the following and more:
- Drunk driving accidents: Intoxicated drivers pose serious threats to all other motorists on the road. If one hit you, then we would be honored to hold them liable for such a reckless act.
- Texting while driving accidents: Driver distraction is more common than ever thanks to the popularity of smartphones. After you’re in a crash with a distracted driver, let us know right away, so we can start preserving valuable evidence of negligence.
- Dram shop claims: Oregon dram shop laws allow you to bring injury claims against alcohol vendors who sold alcohol to an obviously intoxicated customer who they knew would later drive while drunk.
- Complex insurance law cases: There can be significant complications when considering car insurance obligations, liability, and payouts under Oregon law. Let our team help you navigate your case, so the complicated law doesn’t slow you down.
- Rear-end collisions: Don’t be misled into thinking that a rear-end collision is not serious because an insurance company says as much. People who are rear-ended even at low speeds often suffer serious soft tissue injuries like whiplash.
- Head-on collisions: Few car accidents are as devastating as head-on collisions. In such a crash, the velocities of both vehicles are combined, so the force of the impact is effectively twice as strong and that much more dangerous.
- T-bone accidents: When drivers run red lights, they massively increase the risk of causing a T-bone accident if another driver is moving through the intersection on their green light. It is not uncommon for T-bones to result in life-changing injuries.
- Hit-and-run accidents: Our law firm can help you seek justice and compensation if you were hurt in a hit-and-run accident caused by a reckless driver. Using your auto insurance’s uninsured motorist policy, you might be able to make a recovery.
Comparative Negligence Law in Oregon
In Oregon, liability for car accidents – and other forms of accidents – is decided using the state’s modified comparative negligence law. Under this set of rules, you can only pursue compensation from a defendant if your liability is lower than their liability. In a case against one defendant, this would mean that you cannot file a claim if you are 51% liable or greater.
Furthermore, Oregon’s modified comparative negligence law reduces your recovery total by a percentage equal to your liability. For example, if you were 25% liable for a car accident and you need $100,000 in damages, then the defendant can only be ordered to pay up to $75,000 or $100,000 minus 25%. There is some nuance to liability law, settlement amounts, and court awards, of course, so it is always best to discuss these matters with an experienced attorney.
Common Types of Car Accident Injuries
Some of the most common injuries suffered in accidents are:
- Broken bones
- Back and spine damage
- Head injuries
- Brain damage or concussions
- Permanent disfiguration
Our law firm can also assist with wrongful death claims if you lost a loved one in a violent car accident. We know how to carefully approach these cases, so you can be confident that you can be fairly compensated while also giving yourself ample time to grieve.
Keep in mind that even minor injuries in a car accident can cause serious complications. Expenses can easily add up with different forms of medical care, such as ambulatory services, emergency room care, surgery, x-rays, hospitalization, rehabilitative therapy, and so on. Your healthcare insurance might be exhausted before you even leave the hospital. For these reasons and more, it is always a wise choice to at least talk with a professional car accident attorney after a wreck.
Schedule Your Free Consultation with Angel Law, P.C.
If you have any questions about your car accident case, do not hesitate to contact our Portland car accident lawyer at Angel Law, P.C. We can even travel to meet with you in your home or at another nearby location if you cannot or should not travel. We offer contingency fees, too, which means we are only owed attorney fees if we win your case.
These are just some of the many ways that we put our clients first in our legal services. You can rest assured knowing that we prioritize our clients and treat them with the respect and support they deserve during such a difficult time.
5 Reasons to Hire a Car Accident Lawyer
- Your words have meaning: A solid case can disintegrate with one misconstrued or misunderstood statement. Simple apologies could be taken as admissions of guilt, or you might be talking to someone who represents the negligent party and not realize it. When you allow a personal injury attorney to handle your case, you can ensure that nothing will be misspoken and be used against your claims.
- Insurance companies are convoluted: Have you ever taken the time to read the fine print in your insurance policy statement? If you have, you already know just how complicated and roundabout their language can be. Don’t risk overlooking a crucial detail of your case while you try to figure out their intentionally difficult clauses. Instead, rely on an attorney familiar with Oregon car insurance laws.
- You can’t miss a deadline: In personal injury cases, there are going to be a series of deadlines you must meet to file your claim. It could be paperwork having to deal with the medical costs incurred from your car accident, or it could just be a notice you will give the responsible driver. No matter what it is, your lawyer can make certain it gets done correctly and on time.
- Fair settlements are hard to find: After you have been debilitated from catastrophic injuries, it can be difficult to actually know how much your suffering is going to cost you. You would be lucky to be offered a settlement that covers even initial damages, but what about lost wages and rehabilitation costs? To fight for a dollar amount that takes care of you and your family, you should hire a personal injury attorney who knows the ins and outs of laws and litigation.
- Keen eye for evidence: Everything might come down to a single piece of evidence. Finding those little bits can be difficult for someone who has never managed a car accident claim before. When you rely on a personal injury attorney, you can rest and recover while they worry about the fine details surrounding your case, and they can even bring in professionals to help out, such as physicians and accident reconstructionists.
Car Accident FAQ
- Who decides how much my case is worth?
The value of your case will vary depending on who you ask. The opposing insurance company will say it is worth very little. Our legal team can work diligently to calculate the damages owed to you, which is how much your case is really worth.
- What should I do after a car accident?
After being in a car accident, you should call 911 if someone is seriously injured, take photographs, talk to eyewitnesses, see a doctor, and talk to an attorney. For more information, you can visit our blog by clicking here.
- How much does it cost to hire a lawyer?
Hiring our Portland car accident attorney doesn’t cost you anything upfront because we offer free initial consultations. If we cannot end your case in your favor, then you don’t owe us any attorney fees. We only get paid if you win. This contingency fee system ensures that hiring a lawyer stays highly affordable.
- How long do I have to file a claim?
Oregon’s statute of limitations for most car accident cases is two years from the date of the crash or the date on which the claimant’s injuries became noticeable or were diagnosed. To be safe, you should assume you only have two years from the date of your crash to take legal action against the other driver.
Excellent attorney, highly recommend. Very patient, thorough, compassionate, pragmatic and tough. Has encyclopedic knowledge of the law and has an extensive network of experts to call on or refer to as necessary.- Heather A.
A true professional. When I got hit by a car while riding my bike to work, I was left with hefty medical bills and lost wages. Luckily, I was fortunate enough to have Patrick handle my case. He and his team were efficient, caring, and very communicative throughout the entire process. I would happily refer Patrick to friends and family should they need legal services. He really cares about his clients and results.- Avvo User
We were very impressed with Patrick's work because he always communicated with us, kept us informed and involved us in the process. Patrick handled our legal matter with expertise and diligence. We were really very happy with the work he did for us.- Avvo User
Patrick is amazing to work with. He showed he was there on top of things and was very professional. He showed that he was willing to go the lengths needed to help my case succeed. I am very pleased with the results and am very happy to refer him to anyone and everyone. Great person and very compassionate as well as hard-working. He shows his clients that he is there for them. I never felt like I was a back burner or that he was hurrying or rushing my case. Patric stuck it out with me. Patrick is an amazing lawyer.- Avvo User
Patrick Angel is compassionate, caring and always available. I felt very supported when Patrick represented me. I was amazed at how he drove three hours to meet with me. Most would simply have a phone call, but Patrick makes the added effort to connect to better understand me and the situation.- Joe H.
Regardless of the size, scope, or difficulty of your case, our firm is prepared to fight for you.
Our attorney has extensive trial experience and never backs down from a challenge.
Unlike larger firms that rely on paralegals or aides, our attorney will work directly on your case.
Let our experienced attorney provide you with a free one-on-one consultation regarding your case.